Monday, February 16, 2009

Walking vs Sitting

Of course, mom opts to sit. The more she walks or moves, the more trouble she has breathing. If I were her I would opt to sit, too. Although, I want to try to motivate her to do things, I also don't like to watch her suffer. When she moves, she suffers. It's hard for her not to freak out when she can't breathe. Then she hyperventilates. I try to calm her down by telling her to breathe in through her nose and out through her mouth. This allows the oxygen from the nasal canala to move through her nose into her body. But... by default she is a mouth breather. And this makes it difficult. I spend a lot of time just sitting with her - calming her as much as I can. Lately it is resorting to tears and questions about "what happens if I pass out from lack of oxygen and can't breathe?" Needless to say... at this point, she probably should never be alone. Last time I went into the kitchen, she immediately yelled for help b/c she feared she was not getting enough oxygen to sustain her. It's sad. My grandpa used to yell for help, too. It's sad.